RONO HILLS, July 5: The Rajiv Gandhi University (RGU) is all set to conduct its Common Entrance (RGUCET) and PhD Entrance Tests (RGUPET) for the year 2024 across six designated centers, offering over 4,500 seats in 104 programmes.

The programmes include PhD, postgraduate, undergraduate, PG Diploma, and certificate courses. Approximately 1,400 seats are spread across RGU’s affiliated colleges for nine selected programmes.

RGUCET-2024 will be held from July 6 to 12 at various centers including RGU’s Rono Hills campus, University of Science & Technology Meghalaya near Guwahati, Jawaharlal Nehru College in Pasighat, Dera Natung Government College in Itanagar, Indira Gandhi Government College in Tezu, and Government College Bomdila campus. Candidates have chosen their examination centers based on preferences and convenience.

RGUPET-2024, scheduled for July 13 to 15 will exclusively take place at RGU’s campus, aiming to fill 253 PhD seats across 37 departments.

RGU vice-chancellor Prof Saket Kushwaha expressed satisfaction with the preparedness and expected success of RGUCET and RGUPET-2024.

He highlighted RGU’s goal to rank among the top universities nationally and disclosed that 80% of seats in all programs are filled through common entrance tests, with the remaining 20% based on CUET scores by the National Testing Agency.

CUET scores have been integrated for admissions to five undergraduate courses over the last two years: BCA, BSc. (Agriculture), BSc. (Geology), BFA, and BMus.

University registrar Dr N T Rikam noted the university's recent ranking as the 13th among 51 central universities in India by the Institutional Ranking Framework (IIRF), topping in the northeastern region despite geographical challenges.

RGU joint registrar Dr David Pertin reported that 20,444 candidates have been shortlisted to compete for seats, reflecting RGU’s popularity.

“Eligible candidates include those in their final semester/year of qualifying degrees, pending scrutiny of original documents and results,” he informed.

An eleven-member Central Coordination Committee for Common Entrance Tests, led by Prof SK Patnaik from the Department of Geography, has been formed for successful exam administration. A 24x7 helpline staffed by technical experts is available for applicant queries.

Prof Patnaik on his part assured adherence to schedules across centers, with RGU observers ensuring discipline.

A total of 4,881 candidates are competing for 760 BEd seats across RGU's department of education and affiliated colleges.